pennywise design

9.21.2006

An ode to real letters

As a follow up to yesterday, today's post is devoted to the beauty that is notecards and stationery. There is just way too much good stuff out there. When I was in elementary school, my friends and I seriously lived for stationery as we did for The Babysitters Club and figure skating. Lisa Frank and Suzy's Zoo were our faves. Kellee, Tina, Emily and I lived no more than a few streets apart, but we used up our moms' stamps like crazy sending off constant letters to each other. Ha!

A few nights ago, I was rummaging through a box of old college stuff, and came across a bunch of letters my friends and family had hand-written me in the mid-late '90's, before we were all glued to the Internerd. So before cards and letters go the way of the banana clip, please take a look at these.

Dog & Pony Show's designs are so wonderful I don't even know where to start. Cali-based Dog & Pony Show is the brainchild of Melissa Altman and the supremely talented painter Jen Garrido (definitely check out her work).




Lovely notepads!

One Good Bumblebee (Katey Nicosia of Dallas, Texas) makes my bunsen burn. Love her sense of humor! By the way, Katey also runs the fantastic shopping/design blog That's Hot.



Milky Elephant's Pee-Mail stationery set for $7, complete with yellow pen. Insane. I love it.



Found some really beautiful stationery and cards on Distinct Mink's Etsy shop. Don't the patterns look like velvet? All of her designs are hand-rendered and printed from her letterpress. Below are the black cherry stationery and the chocolate sky card. p.s. Her beer and steak wrapping paper rocks.




Seamripper is adorable. A small shop "run by Kathleen in Chicago," there isn't much for sale -- but what is there is delightful. Like this autumn notepad available from her Etsy shop for $7. I keep finding myself back on her site just to look around.


Of course you can depend on Fred Flare to have something ridiculously fun, like a Nintendo mushroom letter set. My 10 (or 29)-year-old heart would have pitter pattered.


3 Comments:

Blogger Irene said...

These are GREAT. I love notecards and stationary. I always get sucked in Kate's Paperie and Papyrus. It takes a lot of restraint on my part not to buy the whole store. I love the cards in your last post too.

11:33 AM  
Blogger design*sponge said...

very cool! hooray for real cards ;)

d*s

12:47 PM  
Blogger Jackie said...

thanks irene & grace! o - and i haven't even been to papyrus, irene, but one just opened up near my work in times sq. will have to check it out asap.

12:39 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home