pennywise design

8.30.2006

Global obsession

I've had a thing for globes since I was a little kid. We kept my mom's desk globe in the basement of our house growing up. It was from the '50's and terribly outdated, so I'd magic marker out the names of countries that didn't exist anymore and write in the new ones in tiny print. My dad would spin the globe around and wherever my finger stopped on it, was the country we talked about next. He quizzed me so often on the state capitals that I've never forgotten them.

I have a distinct memory of being awake at night in my bed, dreaming up how my house would look when I was grown up. The best room I could ever imagine would be completely wallpapered with a giant map. The ceiling would be painted like the sky. And in the room would sit an antique globe in an impressive mahogany stand. I could sit there in my egg chair and plot my next adventure, touching my fingers over the raised relief landforms and smooth blue oceans.

My dad gave me a beautiful standing globe for Christmas about 4 years ago. I've had nowhere to put it in my NYC apartments, unfortunately, but can't wait to finally display it when I move into a house this spring!

Lately, I've been wondering what modern globes were out there aside from the traditional oak knobbed and curlicued kind. I came across this company called
Artline, whose acrylic designs are pretty stunning. These are not cookie cutter globes. From what they describe, an incredible amount of work and skill goes into making each one. A few good places to buy their globes (and others) are via The Globe Store (great prices), The World Globe Superstore and All Modern Furniture.


I'm digging these globes by Italian designers Nova Rico. They've been pioneers in globemaking since 1955. Nice, clean lines, and reasonable prices.

Here's the striking silver and black Mikado, made for Chicago's Replogle Globes in Denmark. Also on Replogle, you can find out how old your globe is.

This Plant-It-Earth globe by Artline rocks. Create your own terrarium or fill them with candy.

Hmm...I think I could definitely start a globes-only blog. Here's one last one to sate me for now, the transparent Simplicity Globe by Danish designer Henrik Tengler. It's a bit steep for me at about $176, but it's a headturner for sure.

4 Comments:

Blogger foodnerd1 said...

I really like the pearlescent one and the black one and the traditional looking one by the Italian company.

I was thinking of getting rid of my globe recently but it looks really good against my newly painted red walls :)

6:16 PM  
Blogger Jackie said...

so your walls are all done?!
and cool about your globe!

6:59 PM  
Blogger foodnerd1 said...

*almost* all done.

7:35 PM  
Blogger Irene said...

I love globes too. Although I've never owned one.

9:35 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home